1941

The Salmon River became the K’ómoks IR#4. 

1957

Chief Andy Frank organized a traditional ceremony to raise two totem poles at Lewis Park. The poles were arranged for by the Royal BC Museum, and carved by Mungo Martin, David Martin, and Henry Hunt. The Courtenay Board of Trade had previously acquired 2 poles believed to be carved by Chief Joe Wallace, but the poles became badly decayed before he could raise them. Rather than replicate the Wallace poles, Mungo created his own version of the same figures. Ancient songs and dances were performed, and many high-ranking First Nations people attended in ceremonial regalia.

1958

The K'ómoks bighouse is constructed (only the second built on the coast since the early times), it was originally located at Centennial Park.

1960

Until 1960, the only way a First Nations person could vote was to give up their status. In 1960 the federal government extended the vote to include all status Indians, thereby dropping the need to give up their status. 

1972

The K’ómoks Band Council approves and begins the construction of an outdoor community swimming pool. The pool was an important part of many KFN members’ childhood memories. It brought the community together for many years.

1974

Chief Norman Frank moves the bighouse (Kumugwe) to K'ómoks IR#1, to honor the late Chief Andy Frank’s wish to see it on reserve land.

1985

Bill C-31, An Act to amend the Indian Act 1985 passes. Ending discrimination against Indian women who married non-Indians. It results in the addition of many new members to BC Indian bands.

1986

1986/87 Due to high maintenance costs, and safety concerns, the K'ómoks community pool is closed.

1987

1987/88 Following the amendment to the Indian Act, there was an increase in band membership, creating a need to expand housing on reserve. A new housing subdivision began on the IR#1.

1989

A memorial pole for Andy Frank was raised outside of Bighouse (Kumugwe) by Norman Frank

1989

McIvor v. Canada - "The Court ruling stems from a civil law suit that Sharon McIvor launched in October 1989, in her bid to acquire the ability to transmit Indian status to her grandchildren. Ms. McIvor claimed that section 6 of the Indian Act was discriminatory in that it treated the descendants of Indian women who married non-Indian men differently from the descendants of Indian men who married non-Indian women." Source

1993

A K'ómoks administration office is built.

1994

The I-Hos Canoe is carved out by Calvin Hunt, Mervyn Child, and others.

1994

K'ómoks pursues their first Tribal Journey to the Commonwealth Games, in Victoria BC.

1941
1957
1958
1960
1972
1974
1985
1986
1987
1989
1989
1993
1994
1994

Pages

*Website updates are a work in progress - please bear with us*

K'omoks Marine Use Plan | Interactive Map

 
 "Care takers of the 'land of plenty' since time immemorial"
tuwa akʷs χoχoɬ ʔa xʷ yiχmɛtɛt (ʔa) kʷʊms hɛhaw tʊms gɩǰɛ 
Language: ʔay̓aǰuθəm (eye-uhh-juu-eth-em) Island Comox