1750

1750-1830 the Lekwiltokw started a southward move into K'ómoks Territory, pushing the Ieeksun to join their relatives at Puntledge.

1792

Captain George Vancouver encountered K'ómoks people at Tsakwaluten.

1862

The smallpox outbreak in 1862, resulting in about a 53% decline of the K'ómoks people.

1875

The E&N Railway Act expropriates a large portion of the K'ómoks Traditional Territory and the land grant was completed without acknowledgement of K'ómoks First Nation rights or title to their Traditional Territory and failed to compensate them. 

1876

The Joint Indian Reserve Commission and Indian Reserve Commission (JIRC) confirms the K'ómoks IR#1 (Courtenay).

1876

The Indian Act is forced upon all First Nations by the Canadian Government, to deal with the "Indian problem".

1878

Joint Indian Reserve Commission and Indian Reserve Commission (JIRC) adds two more reserves, the IR#2 Puntledge and IR#3 Goose Spit

1883

The Comox Coal Fields developed, which would alter the K'ómoks Traditional Territory forever.

1886

Franz Boas arrives in Comox.  Franz Boas was a famed anthropologist and ethnologist who studied the people of the North West Coast, the Kwakiutl in particular.

1940

Joe Nim Nim, the last K'ómoks Pentlatch speaker passes away.

1941

The Salmon River became the K’ómoks IR#4. 

1957

Chief Andy Frank organized a traditional ceremony to raise two totem poles at Lewis Park. The poles were arranged for by the Royal BC Museum, and carved by Mungo Martin, David Martin, and Henry Hunt. The Courtenay Board of Trade had previously acquired 2 poles believed to be carved by Chief Joe Wallace, but the poles became badly decayed before he could raise them. Rather than replicate the Wallace poles, Mungo created his own version of the same figures. Ancient songs and dances were performed, and many high-ranking First Nations people attended in ceremonial regalia.

1958

The K'ómoks bighouse is constructed (only the second built on the coast since the early times), it was originally located at Centennial Park.

1960

Until 1960, the only way a First Nations person could vote was to give up their status. In 1960 the federal government extended the vote to include all status Indians, thereby dropping the need to give up their status. 

1750
1792
1862
1875
1876
1876
1878
1883
1886
1940
1941
1957
1958
1960

Pages

K'omoks Marine Use Plan

Interactive Map


 

"Care takers of the 'land of plenty' since time immemorial"

tuwa akʷs χoχoɬ ʔa xʷ yiχmɛtɛt (ʔa) kʷʊms hɛhaw tʊms gɩǰɛ 

Language: ʔay̓aǰuθəm (eye-uhh-juu-eth-em)